The Dubai International Basketball Tournament, now on its 24th year, is an annual sports competition held in the capital of United Arab Emirates (UAE), organised by the UAE Basketball Association under the patronage of HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.
Eight teams are set to participate in the tournament – 2 from UAE(National Team and Al Ahli Dubai), Jordan, Philippines, Kazakhstan and 3 from Lebanon. Tickets will be on sale from Al Ahli Club on the day.
Smart Gilas Roster:
The Smart-Gilas Pilipinas 2.0 headed by Coach Chot Reyes will begin its campaign in the tourney with Mouttahed Tripoli of Lebanon Saturday early morning at the Al Ahli gymnasium in Dubai.
New players were added to the newest edition of the Gilas squad. Ateneo Blue Eagles Greg Slaughter, Kevin Louie Alas, former UAAP MVP and FEU Tamaraw RR Garcia, Ronald Pascual, former San Beda ace Jake Pascual and Fil-foreign guard Justin Melton add up to the team roster.
With the professional stars of the PBA such as Gary David, LA Tenorio, Arwind Santos and Junemar Fajardo unavailable to play for the team, Reyes has instead tapped Jay-R Reyes, KG Canaleta and Ronjay Buenafe. Completing the squad are naturalized player, Marcus Douthit, Garvo Lanete and Matt Rosser.
The Gilas squad will play on Group B of the sporting event along with Lebanon’s Mouttahed Tripoli, host Al Ahli and Sporting Aramex of Jordan.
Schedule of Games:
- January 11, 2013, 9:00 PM (Jan 12, 1:00 AM PHT): Smart Gilas vs Mouttahed Tripoli (Lebanon)
- January 12, 2013, 9:00 PM (Jan 13, 1:00 AM PHT): Smart Gilas vs Al Ahli (UAE)
- January 14, 2013, 9:00 PM (Jan 15, 1:00 AM PHT): Smart Gilas vs Sporting Aramex (Jordan)
Results of Games:
- January 11 game: Smart Gilas defeated the Mouttahed Tripoli with 79-77. Marcus Douthit scored 20 points and 10 rebounds while Lanete was impressive all throughout the game and finished with 15 points.
- January 12 game: Smart Gilas succumb to the tough Al Ahli club at a 15-point deficit (97-82). Garvo Lanete and Nino Canaleta led the Philippines with 12 and 10 points, respectively, while naturalized player Marcus Douthit was held to just nine.
- January 14, game: The Smart-Gilas Pilipinas suffered a tough loss anew and trailed 10-point behind (75-65) their Jordanian opponent, the Sporting Aramex, during their preliminary bout at the 24th Dubai International Basketball Tournament on Monday, January 14 (Jan. 15 in Manila) held at the Al Ahli Gymnasium, Dubai. Click here for details.
Venue and Tickets:
All games will be played at the Al Ahli Club, Al Ghusais, Dubai. Tickets cost AED 20, AED 30, AED 50, and AED 70 and will be sold at the venue on the time of the tournament.
You can watch the live streaming online here.
Smart-Gilas Pilipinas vs Moutahed Tripoli (January 11, 2012)
Do you want to contribute a story? Please send your article or post through e-mail.