This past two days, I’ve been struggling to connect to the internet via using my Smart Bro Prepaid Kit modem. It says its connected but unable to receive information. Apparently, getting a Smart Bro Prepaid modem is not a wise buy. I’ve been asking myself why I bought it when I could just use my Sony Ericsson K530i USB internet feature for mobile networking.
I’ve been asked by some friends on how I use my mobile phone to connect to the internet. So I’m sharing here how.
What you need:
1. A GPRS/3G enabled phone. It should also support USB internet. Most models nowadays support these network types. I am using my Sony Ericsson k530i phone for my mobile networking. It functions similarly.
2. A network provider supporting MMS, GPRS and 3G. In my case, I am a Smart Telecom subscriber.
3. A USB cable to connect to your laptop or desktops.
4. A synchronization software. Fortunately, most brand new purchased phones always comes with a CD containing this synchronization software.
How to connect to the internet using your Sony Ericsson phone?
Foremost, make sure you have activated your GPRS/MMS/3G setting before proceeding and have your synchronization software installed in your computer.
1. Connect your phone to your laptop or desktop using a USB cable. Put your device into Phone Mode. This will enable you to use your phone while it is connected to your laptop or desktop.
2. Turn on USB Internet which can be found on the Connectivity tab on your phone.
3. Synchronize your phone with your computer using your Sony Ericsson PC Suite.
4. Click on the Mobile Networking Wizard, then click Connect. You don’t need to enter a username or a password because it’s already pre-formatted.
Then, you are connected! Remember, always disconnect your connection after using the internet.
I tested my internet connection speed which showed these results:
Note: Internet rates are the same with phone browsing, depending on your network provider. Smart Telecom charges P10 per 30 minutes on a 30-minute block metering method. It’s of the same rate with using Smart Bro Prepaid Kit modem.