Graduates of University of the Philippines, Ateneo de Manila University, and De La Salle University (considered as the Big 3) are usually hired faster and paid more compared to other graduates of other colleges and universities nationwide, according to a National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB) report city the 1999 Graduate Tracer Study (GTS) report made by the Commission on Higher Education.
Here are the findings:
- Among the three, UP grads were the fastest to find work but were paid a smaller starting salary. They only waited an average of 1.8 month to find work and had a mean income per month of a little over Php 9,700.
- De La Salle graduates are hired within 2.4 months after graduation, but got the highest mean income per month of almost Php 11,900 compared to the two universities.
- Ateneo graduates, meanwhile, spend an average of 2.9 months looking for work and had a mean income per month of around Php10,100.
- Graduates of other private sectarian universities spent almost 4 months looking for work and got a mean income of Php 8,388.
- Graduates of private non-sectarian schools, meanwhile, spent 4.4 months looking for work and had a mean income of just Php8,202.
- Graduates of local colleges and universities, other state universities, and non-profit educational institutions spent as much as an average of 6 months looking for work and were paid far less than graduates of the “Big 3″ schools.
The lack of job opportunities and unsatisfactory salaries or opportunities for advancement in jobs were among the reported reasons why the college graduates had difficulties finding a job.
The report also found out that college graduates were “choosy”. Two (2) in 5 unemployed graduate say they are jobless because of the following reasons: there is no job opening in field of specialization; no interest in getting a job; starting pay is low; and, no job opening within the vicinity of residence.
The GTS cited on this report is based on the conducted GTS in 1999. The CHED has made a similar study last year, however, results were not revealed yet.
Source: ABS-CBN News
Do you want to contribute a story? Please send your article or post through e-mail.